Discussion summary (by Andy Oram and Richard Esplin)Edit
Find the sponsor in the culture--but it is hard to figure out how they are representingEdit
- take people with them because they've built a community around themselves.
- source software in their country.
- adopt the culture they've built up in their community. So others don't feel comfortable.
- Each group will want to contribute on their own terms as dictated by culture, allow them to do that.
- organization present geographically.
- that your project benefits them.
- U.S. companies sometimes don't get it about the relationships particular countries have with each other.
- The reliability of electricity can't be relied on in many countries.
- There are counter narratives about proprietary software or tech being exploitative and F/LOSS being a way to end run that hegemony.
Let's talk about cultural proximityEdit
- Richard Esplin asks us to get more specific.
- Woman in blue shirt says that culture trumps everything. For all these questions you need more than finding someone in korea. you want someone who understands nuances of korean culture. She has a social science background
- Where do we want communities?
If you'd like to connect with other people in this session, add your name/contact information here:*
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.